Being in a foreign place, I've learnt plenty about myself through interactions with people who are so like me yet couldn't be more different. For all my people-curiosity, I've been side-stepping head-on interactions, preferring to just observe and ponder over they're actions.
Yesterday, I made a friend whose name I cannot pronounce. And should I bump into him on the way to class, I probably wouldn't be able to recognise him. Come Thursday, if I'm feeling up to it, I may join this new friend for a Christian youth gathering. At the back of my mind, I sometimes feel I trust strangers too easily. (A sudden bout of runny-nose has hit and the beginnings of a backdrip can already be felt. It all started with a sneeze. Heavens, it would be absolutely terrible to fall sick now. NOW, of all times. There are many plans to be carried out and missions to be fulfilled!)
People here generally look stern and the atmosphere has a hardened side to it. Weather, perhaps? I'd start looking like that if I had to battle the heat all day and the beyond-knee-high floods every other day. I'm tanner now and when I critically stare at my reflection (which happens about once a week while brushing my teeth), reality doesn't quite sync with the mental model. My feet are the tannest, what with the constant flip-flop wearing. I try not to stare too hard at them else I start imagining tan lines from socks, pumps and all that.
No comments :
Post a Comment