OH YE COMMONER & other things

Thursday, February 18, 2010

There was a 20 person seminar-styled discussion about the d-isadvantages of an elite education. (Of all topics!) & the only thing I remember from the entire event was how a certain male-body kept using the word COMMONER. (No, he's not from The College. Don't judge us now.) I mean, yea, you're probably from The Prestigious College Located Opposite My Ex High School but that gives you absolutely no right to call the man on the street a commoner. That's highly offensive. Not to mention snobbish. & archaic. But more offensive than anything else for multiple reasons. There're plenty of other ways - nicer ways - to refer to the man on the street, like the man on the street.

On to The Other Things, somebody hates me cos of the one time I shared. Okay, I admit, I might've sounded like an elitist egotistic prick & failed awfully in bringing my point across but in my defense, the right words escaped me & yes, I mentally winced at how inelegantly phrased the answer was after the whole thing was over :/ Yes, I would redo it if I had the chance, but what's done is done isn't it.

It's a curious thing, how a paragraph written by a stranger whose path crossed mine for an approximate one and a half hours can affect me. Instinctively, you want to lash out, retaliate, justify yourself (hence the paragraph above) and pretty much set fire to her hair [read: get all bitchy. But that just ain't me.]. Then you realise that you're only reacting this way because there is probably some truth in what that person said about you & you're the ostrich hiding its head in the sand. I know, I come across (i.e. seem to be but I'm actually not. No, srsly. Stop laughing at me! :/) as haughty at times; my friends have told me that. I'M WORKING ON IT. [Note to self: Need to smile more & pretending to be a marble statue] Moving on, when a person says things like that, you realise, too, that you may not be the only one in denial. (Something about what you say being a mirror to your soul...) & I also realised that selective hearing isn't just applicable to men (I was horribly misquoted).

There is also the issue of being judgmental. "Judge not lest ye be judged." Can you cast judgment objectively, without letting your fears, issues & whatnot colour you judgment? Can you make a dispassionate assessment of a situation? It's terrifyingly hard to do so. Each time a judgmental thought enters my mind - & I catch that thought before it flies away - I ask why. Why did I think that? Hence commencing a wandering/wondering mental process.

There's more to say, but I can't think straight with my sister telling me to kindly remove my gluteus maximus from the computer.

Aye, I hurt & I'm feeling extremely misjudged. it's almost as if someone on the bus just gave me a couple of deep, angry scratches on my arm, just to show me she's capable of making me bleed :/ Hmm.

No comments :

Blog Archive