LATE NIGHTS

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Stay strong; keep them flames burning.
I'm not tired. I'm not tired. I'm not tired.

Life's been insanely packed but highly rewarding. The past 2 days have been spent in school from morning to 6odd. Past 2 nights have been incredibly eventful with Jeremy Monteiro & T'ang Quartet yesterday and Impempe Yomlingo, an African version of the opera The Magic Flute a couple of hours ago. Jazz was good, but it wasn't as enjoyable as the previous Monteiro performance I went to last year since it felt a little dry in the middle. The Magic Flute, however, was brilliant! A total go-with-the-flow, feel good, groove to the African rythm performance with fantastic opera (: Awesomeawesomeawesome. Been sleeping at 1am cos of the performances ending late & post-show-late-night-supper. But it's worth it.

Go watch more Art Fest stuff!

But pick those that have better reviews/ ratings. Things such as the opening act held at the Marina Barrage, Helios, was a waste of time. I had more fun taking photos with my sisters than oohing & ahhing over subsubstandard juggling performances. Seriously, if you're bringing in an international act, it sure as hell better be more professional. However, I'll admit that the giant praying mantis & musicians were cool. But then again, one cool giant insect & a 2 musicians travelling on said insect can't make up for the general lack of quality & attention-capturing sequence of events. Things like that may very well spawn even more disinterest in the arts than actually reach-out & encourage more Singaporeans to let arts play a bigger role in their lives. First impressions, y'know. The audience isn't dumb nor completely ignorant.

No comments :

Blog Archive