Biennale 08

Monday, November 17, 2008

Being such a terrible last minute person, I only visited the Biennale exhibits yesterday with my sister in tow. Nevertheless, it was goooood despite my camera dying at such a bad time.

PICTURES!


El Naufragio de los Hombres by Charly Nijensohn. A three channel video installation filmed in the salt desert of Salar de Uyani in Bolivia. The concept's really simple, making use of stillness and reflection but the result's sooooo beautiful; this picture barely does any justice to it (in my defense, the camera was dying). There are no words, actions or anything, just people standing still, filmed at different angles and it is simply transfixing.

(Shoot first, make friends later)


Some snaps from the collection Operation Supermarket by Farhad Moshiri and Shirin Allabadi. A super cute, rather tongue-in-cheek series that anyone can appreciate (:



And of course, Ben-David Zadok. 'Nuff said, right? It's a wonder in itself. Absolutely amazing I can't believe this guy it is Fantastic!


Um, well. It's no art piece, that shadow's my sister trying to be the next bond girl. But the concept for this installation was pretty cool. It was a room with flames projected onto the walls and around the place were everyday objects made to look charred.


Another video; I liked this one alot...it triggered something in me. It's entitled Beyond recognition by Nadiah Bamadhaj. Text from Joseph Conrad's The Lagoon are inscribed on the landscape of Faroe Islands. In this video, "violence is insinuated on the land and we subconsciously feel the pain of history."



And lastly, the front of the Raffles Place exhibits. The cranes at the end kind of spoil the picture.

Biennale this year seems more interesting than the previous one. The theme this year was "Wonder" but I noticed many of the pieces had Metamorphosis as a theme as well.

Had a turn on the Singapore Flyer with my family- complimentary tickets as part of Biennale. Frankly, it's quite boring standing around in the capsule and watching the cityscape do a 360 around you. Not short enough to be impactful, not long enough to stone and appreciate the cityscape. And unless you have an ultimate super-duper awesome DSLR, you can't quite take very pretty photos. These below hardly do any justice.




I want a DSLR camera. The photos I take with my current one seldom turn out the way I want it and most times, the angle's just not wide enough I cannot capture everything I want in a single shot. While wandering around the exhibits yesterday, I got soooo envious of all those trigger-happy people with that snazzy gadget.

No comments :

Blog Archive